What Is 3D Printing?
3D printing isn’t magic, it isn’t technology from a futuristic world, instead it’s a way to create your ideas in an amazing way!
“3D Printing” is an all-encompassing term used to describe a technology that was developed around 30 years ago. There are a number of different types of 3D printing technologies.
- FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) – A type of technology that relies on applying layer upon layer of material by melting the materials at varying temperatures in order to liquefy them to create the layers.
- SLS (Select Laser Sintering) – Uses a laser to fuse small particles of different materials together to create shapes in a 3D space.
- SLA (Stereolithography) – Uses a UV light or laser to cure a resin that is applied layer by layer to create a 3D object.
3D printing uses a multitude of materials that change on a daily basis. Some of the most common materials are:
- Plastic – ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) or PLA (Polylactic Acid)
- Powdered materials – plastic, silicate, metal
- Wood-like, rubber-like, nylon-like
Printing Your Part or Idea
3D printing relies upon the creation of a 3D file created from many different types of software. The most common software applications are typically Computer Aided Design programs. The models are constructed in these software programs and then exported into file printing types like .stl and .obj. The files are then “sliced” in a program and sent to the printer to make the part!
What can The 3D Printing Store do for you?
We can lead you through the entire process from printer and material consult, to project design and final print. We have a talented staff to help you print your ideas®, today!